ARMAND AROMIN is a violin maker and musician based in Providence, Rhode Island. He has studied at Berklee College of Music and the University of Limerick, and is a graduate of the North Bennet Street School in Boston, MA where he earned his diploma in Violin Making & Repair. He is the sole proprietor of Aromin Violins in Pawtucket and specializes in new instrument making, set-up and tonal adjustments (including 5-stringed instruments) and is able to accommodate folk and classical musicians, as well as anyone in between. Armand also plays with the Boston-based Irish music group, The Ivy Leaf.
Picking up the fiddle and tin whistle in his mid-teens, Armand learned much of his music from renowned Irish musicians and tunesmiths Jimmy Devine and Patrick Hutchinson, both of whom helped to foster an interest in the lyrical and colorful styles of older musicians such as Denis Murphy and Julia Clifford, Bobby Casey, Johnny Doherty, and Tommy Reck. In addition to being the 2010 Mid-Atlantic Fleadh Cheoil Champion for Senior Fiddle, Armand was also a finalist at the Séan Ó Riada Gold Medal Fiddle Competition held in Cork, Ireland in 2011. Since 2010, he has taught fiddle and tin whistle for the Reynolds-Hanafin-Cooley branch of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Eireann in Boston. Much to Ben's delight and dismay, Armand is working on incorporating English concertina into his repertoire of instruments.
BENEDICT GAGLIARDI was produced and developed in central Connecticut. He discovered folk music in high school by way of a cassette tape of CT-based band, The Morgans, and immediately bought a concertina (likely aspiring to become a pirate). His style is the result of an eager student and an ill-advised teacher (both him). Although Ben never received formal lessons, his music-making was nurtured and encouraged at sessions by local trad musicians including Joe Gerhard, John Tabb, Jeanne Freeman, Jon Warner and many others from the time he first started going to sessions in CT. He is now a regular session guest host at McKinnon's in Hartford, The Playwright in Hamden and up until its untimely end, Anna Liffey's in New Haven.
To his great surprise, Ben placed first in the 2014 Mid-Atlantic Fleadh Senior Duets competition with Jon Warner as well as Senior Melodeon and Mouth Organ (Harmonica). Ben has led a slow session and taught concertina at the CT Academy of Irish Music and has also been an anchor at the Lower Valley Beginner Irish Session in Holyoke, MA. In his undergraduate days, he established and led a Folk Music club at UConn. Ben can't dance a step, so he tries to make good use of his time sitting by singing and playing banjo, baritone ukulele, harmonica, or melodeon. In real life, Ben is a full-time lab coordinator at The Nature Lab at Rhode Island School of Design.
If you'd like to book us for any type of gig, please send us an email via the Contact Page.
Between the two of us, we have years of performance experience ranging from small scale concerts in cozy coffeehouses, libraries, and lamp-lit living rooms, to farmers markets, dances (contra/square/ceili), weddings, festivals, and other large public venues. We particularly enjoy intimate settings like house shows where we can more easily coax listeners to join in on choruses, but we're equally at home on the performance stage entertaining larger audiences. We've played for countless wedding processionals (and cocktail hours) and have a substantial repertoire of slow traditional tunes perfect for the ceremonial walk down the aisle.
* Blackstone River Theatre Summer Solstice Festival - Cumberland, RI (with Torrin Ryan)
* Boston Celtic Music Festival - Cambridge, MA (with Kieran Jordan)
* Mystic Sea Music Festival - Mystic, CT (with Kieran Jordan Dance, also Dan Milner & Robbie O'Connell)
* New England Folk Festival - Mansfield, MA
* Northern Roots Traditional Music Festival - Brattleboro, VT
* Oyster Festival - Mystic, CT (with Craig Edwards)
* Portsmouth Maritime Folk Festival - Portsmouth, HN
* Warren Folk's Festival - Warren, RI (with Atwater-Donnelly)
* Windjammer Days Festival - Booth Bay, ME (with Craig Edwards)
* 186 Carpenter Street - Providence, RI (with The Two Selkies)
* Amazing Things Art Center - Framingham, MA (opening for Fellswater)
* AS220 - Providence, RI (with Torrin Ryan)
* Aurora - Providence, RI
* Blackstone River Theatre - Cumberland, RI (with Lindsay Straw & Kyle Forsthoff)
* Blithewold Mansion - Bristol, RI (joining Dan Accardi)
* Blue - Portland, ME (with Lindsay Straw)
* The Bookmill - Montague, MA
* The Burren - Sommerville, MA (with Matt Heaton, opening for Visiten, also with Kieran Jordan, Michael Tubridy, James Keane & John Coyne)
* The Collaborative - Warren, RI
* Downtown Sundown Series in Roger Williams Memorial Park - Providence, RI
* FSSGB Youth Trad Song and Tune Showcase - Watertown, MA
* The Grange - Providence, RI (with Lindsay Straw & Kyle Forsthoff)
* Lily Pads 5th Anniversary Show opening for Tim Eriksen - Peacedale, RI (with Torrin Ryan)
* "Little Gifts" (a show by Kieran Jordan) - Cambridge, MA (with Kieran Jordan dance)
* The Main Pub - Manchester, CT (with Jon Warner)
* Me & Thee Coffeehouse - Marblehead, MA (joining Debra Cowan)
* Shrine World Music Venue - Harlem, NYC
* Sprout "Folk Music Showcase" - Providence, RI
* String Tinker's - Putnam, CT (with Jeff Davis)
* Summit Street Gallery - Ivoryton, CT
* Willimantic Records - Willimantic, CT
* Wood's Hole Folk Music Society - Wood's Hole, MA (joining Debra Cowan)
* Warren Contra Dance - Warren, RI (with Torrin Ryan)
* Sean nos Irish dance - various events with Kieran Jordan Dance
* Hope Artiste Village wintertime farmer's market - Pawtucket, RI
* Ivoryton farmer's market - Ivoryton, CT
* Lippitt Park farmer's market - Providence, RI
* Providence Flea Market - Providence, RI
* Weaver Public Library farmer's market - East Providence, RI
* Wickenden Street Makers and Merchants Sidewalk Sale - Providence, RI